Saturday, September 21, 2019

Living in a technocolor dreamworld

"Stop speaking in riddles."

"Stop breathing air."

We both answered at the same time, "No."

I sighed at Chonk. Chonk the Faeline had been nothing but cryptic answers since I met it. We were travelling still, the road stretched on forever to wherever it went. It was lush, green, verdant...I always wanted to call something verdant.  Not too far from home, except here, here the colors were more vibrant, the experiences were richer. The scent of clover fields or something else nice because I'm not sure I've ever smelled clover.

The point is, this was the nicest part of the entire 'Underland' I'd seen.  We saw large moving trees, wrapped together like a statue made of parts of wood, that walked between the trees, not moving a branch. Chonk advised me to steal fruit from them, and with my stomach rumbling in agreement, I did so.

I'm sure that's not going to bite me on the ass.

We both ate, we drank from streams of water.  It was the wild, but it was the best wild I could ever imagine. Something out of one of those Miyozaki films, the romanticizing of an overland trip.

And Chonk here was my festive, snarky sidekick.

I sat, and finished off the fruit that I have no idea what it was. It had a sweet and bitter taste to it. I found myself disappointed I had only grabbed three.  For a sense of gratitude, I planted the pits of the fruits near where I ate them. That'd come across less awkward if I had a trowel or shovel.  Instead I was just one-handed trying to pry my short sword into the ground, and dig up a small hole.

Still, Karma +1, am I right?

I pressed my luck and started to grill Chonk again. It was cleaning itself, those big tuffed ears twitched, as it sensed my attention. I considered if the ears were a hint as to the lynx or bobcat heritage.

"This guy we're going to see." I started.

It continued cleaning itself. (I'm using gender neutral because I don't want to have THAT conversation with a fae), then looked up, "Yes. To see, smell, hear, vrinch, all the senses."

I gave it a sour look, Vrinch?  Its playing me for fun again.  "He's human, and has been here for a while...so the thought is that he can help me out?"

I've already gone over this with him, but apparently cats are still too clever for their own good, even in the Underland. Chonk likes to omit things, so far none of them have been life-threatening, but I've had a few moments of discomfort, as flower pollen got me high, or some sort of water thing took offense at me drinking from a creek I had found.

He's fun at parties though.

That's an assumption, I don't go to parties much.

Chonk pulled itself up and let that tail sway, "He was human, last I checked. Long enough that I remember him."

I nodded, "But his name was deigned to be beneath notice of your attention?"

Chonk raised its head, accepting the flattery. Cats are still cats, it seems. "Mortals usually don't stay for long."

I nodded, "Well then. Lets get me home before I get dead."

Chonk rolled a throaty purr, as I got up and started walking. It continued, "Seems to me that the two options....are the same."

I freaking hate cats sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment